Please Support Stars That Died

For my followers of “Stars That Died” Please continue to support Unfortunately I had a family member have a stroke and it has limited my ability to update the sites. If you Value the information please donate 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 dollars this will allow us to get back on track.!!We ask that if you value this site continue to support and help it grow!!! If you enjoy what” “Stars That Died”” stands for, please continue to donate 5, 10, 20 or more. Kenneth


Stars That Died

"STD Search Engine"

Stars that died 2010

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Oscar Stanley Dawson, Indian admiral, Chief of the Naval Staff (1982–1984), died from a brain haemorrhage he was 87.

Oscar Stanley Dawson  was an Indian Navy admiral who served as the 12th Chief of the Naval Staff from 1 March 1982 to 30 November 1984.[1] From 1983 until his retirement, he also served as the Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee of the Indian Armed Forces. Other major commands he held included that as Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Southern Naval Command and as Flag Officer Commanding, Eastern Fleet (FOCEF). Dawson was also the Director of Naval Operations during the Indo-Pakistan War of 1971.

(13 November 1923 – 23 October 2011)

After retirement, Admiral Dawson served as the Indian High Commissioner to New Zealand. He also campaigned for a number of environmental causes and worked on the rehabilitation of the handicapped. Admiral Dawson died of cerebral haemorrhage at the Command Hospital, Bangalore in October 2011.[2][3]

Early life

Dawson was born in Rangoon, Burma, on 13 November 1923 to E. S. and Oliva Dawson. His parents hailed from Tamil Nadu in India. He received his high school education in Rangoon. During the Japanese occupation of Burma in March 1942, his family was evacuated back to India.

Naval career

Upon his return to India, Dawson initially continued with college studies, but left to enlist in the Royal Indian Navy Volunteer Reserve. He received his commission on 7 January 1943.
He received training as a specialist in navigation and direction in the United Kingdom. During World War II, he participated in the Arakan Campaign 1944-1945 and served on escort convoys in the Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea.[4] Following the independence of India, he was absorbed into the Indian Navy.
Among his early assignments, Dawson served as the Naval Aide-de-Camp to the first President of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad, during 1953-54. Following his graduation from the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington in 1957, he served as the Navigating Officer of INS Vikrant (R11). Later he served as the Fleet Navigating Officer. Among the commands he held at sea, included those as the commanding officer of INS Talwar (1959) and INS Nilgiri (F33). His appointments on shore included that as the Commandant, Navigation and Direction School; Director, Tactical School and Chief Staff Officer, Cochin Area.
Dawson was the Director of Naval Operations (DNO) at Naval Headquarters (NHQ) during the Indo-Pakistan War of 1971. Some of the Indian Navy's most famous operational successes, including Operation Trident, Operation Python and the naval blockade of East Pakistan were accomplished during his tenure as DNO. Dawson was awarded the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) for his services and leadership during the conflict.
He graduated from the National Defence College, New Delhi in 1973. He served as the Flag Officer Commanding, Eastern Fleet (FOCEF) between February 1978 and March 1979. He later served as the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief (FOC-IN-C), Southern Naval Command. In 1981, he was awarded the Param Vishisht Seva Medal (PVSM) for his distinguished service to the Indian Navy.
Dawson was promoted to Admiral and succeeded Admiral Ronald Lynsdale Pereira as the 12th Chief of the Naval Staff, taking command on 1 March 1982. Among his most significant contributions in office was the planning and vision for Project Seabird.[5]
Admiral Dawson retired from service on 30 November 1984,[6][7] having spent 19 of his 41 year naval career at sea.

Later life

Admiral Dawson served as the Indian High Commissioner to New Zealand between August 1985 and September 1987.
Upon his return, Admiral Dawson settled in Bangalore and actively supported a number of environmental causes. He led the campaign to clean Ulsoor lake in the city. He was instrumental in the campaign to discontinue the use of leaded petrol in the 1990s.
Since 2005, he served as the President of the charitable organization, Anga Karunya Kendra, focused on supporting rehabilitation of the handicapped. The organization primarily supports patients suffering from polio, muscular dystrophy and cerebral palsy, as well as victims of accidents. A major focus of the organization is on rehabilitation using prostheses.[7]


Admiral Dawson died of cerebral hemorrhage on 23 October 2011, aged 87. He never married and was survived by his sister, Thelma.[2]

To see more of who died in 2011 click here

No comments:

Look Who Just Got Busted In Memphis

Stars that died video of 2010 updated

Stars That Died 2008